PCs running Windows 10 have been the target for a few days of numerous updates. They land on the occasion of Microsoft’s last major monthly maintenance 2022.
This meeting is known. Named Patch Tuesday, it allows Microsoft to fix problems and bugs while refining performance. The most important, however, is at the level of security with in general a clogging of many flaws. If Windows 11 is the big star of the “Redmond” catalog, Windows 10 is still relevant. It even occupies a place of choice since it is today the most popular PC operating system in the world. It will be supported until October 2025.
Windows 10 and updates
The December 2022 Patch Tuesday offers new cumulative updates for Windows 10 devices. These users are encouraged to download and install them as soon as possible. The main reason is that a lot of this content focuses on security. However, not all versions of Windows 10 are affected. Microsoft retired quite a few versions. They are now end of service (EOS). Here are the affected versions
- Windows 10 v1703,
- Windows 10 v1709,
- Windows 10 v1803,
- Windows 10 v1903,
- Windows 10 v1909,
- Windows 10 v2004.
For the others, they benefit from new cumulative updates with
- KB5021243 for Windows 10 v1507 (kernel upgrade to 10240.19624)
- KB5021235 for Windows 10 v1607 (kernel upgrade to 14393.5582)
- KB5021237 for Windows 10 v1809 (kernel upgrade to 17763.3770)
- KB5021233 for Windows 10 v20H2, 21H1, 21H2, and 22H2 (upgraded kernels to 19042.2364, 19043.2364, 19044.2364, and 19045.2364)
Note that this December 2022 Patch Tuesday is the last for Windows 10 21H1. The operating system has now moved to EOS. His care is over. Its users are encouraged to upgrade to a more recent version. Windows Update, if the configuration is eligible, can also offer a switch to Windows 11.
Microsoft fixes 26 security patches, three of which are critical flaws. These affect PowerShell and the SSTP protocol.
- CVE-2022-41076 -> Possible remote code execution in PowerShell,
- CVE-2022-44676 and CVE-2022-44670 -> Possible remote code execution through Windows SSTP (Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol).